Thursday, October 5, 2017

Tackling the Tough Stuff

I'm publishing this post a day early for a reason.  Read on below to find out why!

I’ve often told my kids that if a book hasn’t ticked off someone at some point it’s probably not worth reading.  While this is a broad oversimplification, there is a grain of truth in the statement.  Consider this list compiled by the American Library Association of the top 10 challenged books for every year since 2000.  (My personal favorites are 2012 and 2013, when Captain Underpants topped the list, beating out Fifty Shades of Grey.  I’ll give you a minute to digest that one.)  While you peruse, stop and consider how many of those books fall into the canon of children’s literature.

What is and is not “appropriate” for children readers has been a hot button issue in the world of children’s literature since the genre took a sharp turn from didactic to entertainment around the turn of the twentieth century.  As I noted in the fairy tale category, those stories that we tend to label for a child audience were not originally intended for them.  In fact, the majority of early literature meant for children was purely for educational purposes and thankfully we’ve come a long way since Orbis Pictus.  But that departure has opened the floodgates with those claiming they want to protect children from the literature written for them

I’ll try to keep my cynicism on a short leash, but in my personal opinion the root of this problem can be traced back to one source; adults.  The fingerprints of adults are all over each step of the creation, publication and promotion of children’s books.  And often, unfortunately, the intended audience isn’t given enough consideration in their ability to choose and decide for themselves.  I will readily admit I have fallen into this trap with my own children at times. I loathed the thought of my then eight year old reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire because I knew the heartbreak he would suffer at the end of the Triwizard Tournament.  I knew because I had felt it and I instinctively wanted to protect him from that pain.

Let me be clear, there is nothing wrong with that initial instinct and desire to protect.  That’s a GOOD thing.  But the reality is we cannot and should not protect them forever  - that’s how they learn.  If my years as a parent have taught me anything it is that kids are so much more self-aware, resilient, creative, intelligent, funny, strong and brave them we often give them credit for.  Author Judy Blume, who has multiple titles that have been challenged and banned, argues that given the opportunity, children will self-censor.  That if they feel uncomfortable with what they’re reading they’ll put it down.  In one of her most repeated quotes, Blume said: “Let children read whatever they want and then talk about it with them.  If parents and kids can talk together, we won’t have as much censorship because we won’t have as much fear.”

That then is why the books in this category are so important.  As a reminder, here’s what my original thoughts were about “Controversy”:

“When I came up with the “controversy” category in it were books that I felt contained what are often labeled “adult” topics which are seen as not appropriate for children or their literature. Considering picture books are geared at the “8 and under” crowd (not taking into account longer more detailed graphic novels which I decided not to consider as part of this project because of their length and complexity), those published in the United States don’t often take on such topics as death, politics, war, loneliness, abandonment, gender and marriage controversy (to name just a few) in such a blatant and bold way.  The translated books in this category, though, do not apply ‘kid gloves’ when approaching such topics.  When looking at these books I hoped to then determine why these titles were translated and how they are received in the United States.  Is there a lack of similar material (even though it’s wanted) which has caused books like these to be translated?  How are the received in the US?  More than one of the titles I have included have found themselves on the “banned” list due to content, did they face similar criticism in their country of origin?”

When I first started determining my categories, I realized that the world handles how and what they share with children very differently than we do here in the United States.  That is a very important point to keep in mind as we look at some of these titles over the next few posts.  I was surprised to find many more books on subjects that in my experience, we tend to shy away from or not address is such a straightforward manner.  (Though for sake of the argument, I have no doubt that similar to translated titles, if you spent time looking for such books, you would be able to find them.  I’m suggesting they aren’t “top sellers” or what you would probably find on your own if casually browsing the book store.  Similar to multicultural children’s lit, which is definitely another blog for another day…)  It will be important to remember that what one country deems “appropriate” for children does not mean that feeling is universal.  The debate for what is right or wrong in this regard isn’t one for me to get into here. Trust me, this post in its original draft form consisted of me mostly standing on my soap box rallying against the challenging and banning of books.  It took me a few attempts to realize that too is not the conversation we should be having here.  Rather, my job is to point out it’s something to consider and be aware of as it sometimes leads to translated titles being misunderstood because the cultural context is not considered.

One reason I felt so strongly about including these books is because there is a need for them.  Perhaps not in every home by every child – but there are readers out there that need these stories.  How do we as adults come to terms with discrimination or the destruction of war let alone expect a child to?  Through story we are able to connect, process and perhaps most importantly, empathize.  As Blume suggests, they open lines of communication to address misunderstanding and fear.  Who it’s “meant” for aside, there should be no question that literature can play a part in helping address topics that can be overwhelming at any age.

Over the next five posts, I will be taking a look at books that address some of these topics.  I want to stress again that my purpose is to bring awareness, not debate if a book is “good” or “appropriate.”  Each of us is entitled to make that determination on our own, and as I have noted, this varies not just from person to person but on a larger cultural scale as well.  On Tuesday I’ll be back to offer up some different insight on death from around the globe.

In the meantime, as I noted above, I'm putting this post up a day early because tomorrow I am writing a guest post for the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustators (SCBWI) Michigan Chapter's blog, The Mitten.  I am honored to have this little project of mine recognized by SCBWI -MI and am grateful for the support of all it's members.  If you are a writer or illustrator of children's literature, I highly suggest becoming a member of SCBWI.  I have found it a wonderful place to connect, support and share with others in the field.  Tomorrow I will put up a small post with the link to my article.  Then Tuesday we'll be "back to normal'

No comments:

Post a Comment