Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Outside the Box Where Languages 'Dual'

Speaking at the “Where the Wild Books Are” event in April of 2015, Giorgia Grilli, professor of children’s literature and founder of the Center of Research in Children’s Literature at Bologna University said “Often, the weird or off-putting make for truly great art. Mystery [and] strangeness lead to creativity.” The event was a celebration of international picture books, especially those that are usually deemed “unconventional” and sought to determine why they encounter resistance in the United States. It’s this type of books that we’ll be celebrating the next few days in my next category; “Outside the Box.”

(Kristi’s Note: There is a great write-up about the entire event, its participants, and findings from Publisher’s Weekly here if you’re interested.)

As a reminder, here were my original thoughts on the category:

“There was no end to the creativity I found in the books that I examined, but I felt that some deserved a category all their own for being “outside the box” of what you normally expect to find in picture books. These were the books that I came across that I wanted to share with others simply because they were different, the fact that they were translated and came from around the world was just a bonus! This category is my answer to the critics of translated literature saying that it is “weird” or that there’s really nothing special about it that we don’t already have here. The uniqueness of these books is what earned them a spot in this category.”

I know that in my introduction post for each category I tend to make an argument for why the category is unique, why we need it, things to be aware of, etc. But I’m going to go outside my own box here this time for three reasons: 1) I have no doubt that each of these books will speak for themselves in that capacity 2) I’ve come across a different style of book that I want to share here and this seems like an ideal place to do so and 3) because I am a creature of habit and throwing a wrench in my long-planned post list is a way for me to step outside my own box 😊

While not strictly translated, I wanted to take a closer look at some dual language books that I came across during my research. That isn’t what makes them “outside the box”; what does is that each is from an area of the world that isn’t one of the “big” producers of translated titles otherwise and each approach how they utilize both languages differently.



Minutka, (which means “Little Minute” in Polish) is a bilingual dog who speaks both English and Polish.  Minutka tells all about himself, his life, what he does, sees, how he acts, and even how he dreams (in both English and Polish!)  The top of each page is in English, there is an illustration of Minutka and then the Polish words underneath.  


The straightforward style of the book, featuring both languages on the same page is how I think most tend to think of dual language books.  The author, Anna Mycek-Wodecki, was born and educated in Poland and now spends her time between Warsaw and Chicago, so the authenticity of the language in the original book can be verified.


What stood out to me was that the language wasn’t overly simplistic and was done in everyday vernacular that seemed appropriate.  I specifically noted words such as “snatched, mohawk and sprinkler.”  The illustrations of Minutka are simplistic but effective at showing what Minutka is saying.  (And she’s just so cute!)  There is fun in the story, something to be appreciated as the style often tends to be didactic to “teach” another language.  In fact, Minutka has since been translated! Additional stories about Minutka now pair English with French, Chinese, Italian, and Turkish. 


Rhymes from South Africa with English adaptations by Early Learning Resource Unit
Illustrated by: Reviva Shermbrucker
I can’t remember exactly how I stumbled across this title the first time, but if you’ve been following along and noticed how few books from Africa have been translated you can imagine my excitement when I did.  There is only one library in the entire state of Michigan (a University) that even has a copy so I quickly ordered my own to add to my expanding collection.  The book is similar to Minutka in that it features English on one page and then the second language on another.  But this book has 6 other languages!  And instead of a sentence per page, these are traditional rhymes from South Africa, all featuring animals.  (From what I can find diphoofolo is from the sotho language and means animal in English!)


The book features verses in isiZulu, Afrikaans, isiXhosa, Sesotho, Sepedi, and Setswana which are identified on the final page of the book along with an English pronunciation guide for each verse.  


The illustrator, Reviva Shermbrucker, immigrated to South Africa in 1960 and has an extensive resume featuring African artwork for children’s books as well as writing her own work.  While her work wouldn’t be considered translated, as it originates in English, international picture books in any language are reflective of that particular culture and deserve more recognition than they are usually given in the United States.  This book so beautifully celebrates African language, literature, and art that I knew it needed some love via my blog.  I’m happy to lend my copy if you’re in my area and want to check it out or consider adding this one to your own library!





By: Jose Manuel Mateo
Illustrated by: Javier Martinez Pedro
Translated by: Emmy Smith Ready
“Have you seen this?”  One of the best parts of this project is when someone shares a book with me that was completely off my radar.  My wonderful advisor greeted me with this book just a week or so ago that she had come across on a trip to the library. I fell hard for it in the quick five minutes I had to peruse it.  My own copy is on its way here as I type and I don’t want to do it a disservice so before you read any more from me, this review is full of insight, information, and pictures of the book.  Check it out for full details or I’ll do my best to give a quick synopsis below.

As I said, the reason that I wanted to showcase these books is because of the unique way they offer a dual language text.  The book is presented in the style of a pre-Columbian codex, forms of which originate to the Mayan and Aztec cultures.  There is no central binding in the book, rather it is one large image, folded up vertically accordion style.  


The words of the story appear to the right of the picture and correspond with just that piece of the picture that is visible while reading. But a reader could open the entire book and see the entire illustrated scene from beginning to end. 


In this particular book, the text appears on one side of the paper in Spanish. If you flip the entire book over the full-length illustration appears on the other side, can be flipped accordion style with the English text.



If I had found this book before, since it is technically a translation, I would have loved to include it in my controversy category under human rights.  There is a beautiful endnote from the author and illustrator that I’m going to leave right here, as some food for thought:

“We wish to tell and to question this collective story that makes children defenseless and almost nonexistent to their own country and to the new one where they hope to find work. When they migrate, the children cannot themselves prove their name, nor can they request documents to do so; many times they cannot even manage to find out what their real age is. For this reason we have created this book: to demand these children’s right to exist.”




Illustrated by: Davida Flores
“Do you have any Maltese language books?”  So began what I consider to be the coolest thing to happen to me since starting this project.  I had posted a link to my new blog on the Facebook page for the group KidLit411 and received this question.  I was quick to respond “No, but if you have any suggestions I’d love to have them.”  Not only did I know I didn’t have any books translated from Maltese, my very unworldly self had to first verify that I was sure I knew where Malta was.  You can imagine my delight when I then learned that I had been contacted by Rita Antoinette Borg, an author from Malta who has written and had published a number of dual language English and Maltese books.

Rita and I began corresponding, and I learned that Rita herself introduced the bilingual format on the island for the picture book market in 2000.  In Rita’s books, one half of the book is the English version while the other is in Maltese. There are two front covers and you turn it upside down depending upon which language version you wish to read.  (Check out a full list of Rita’s books here!)



Rita kindly offered to send me a copy of her book Amber Alien’s Pet Pursuit and I am honored and overjoyed to share it here on my blog.  Amber Alien, from the planet of Zweega desperately wants a pet, but it must be the “most special, exotic, perfect, unusual, colorful, and funny pet ever.”  Amber travels to Earth in search of the perfect pet that meets those qualifications but is disappointed when those pets (ranging from a polar bear to a whale!) don’t seem to flourish in Zweega.  Not wanting them to be sad, she returns them each to Earth but continues her search.  She eventually returns home to finds a tiny Zweegan lizard outside her rocket that she names Maxi, who with lots of love and care, eventually grows into the perfect pet for Amber.  The book is separated in the middle by a two-page spread inviting readers to number the animals Amber found on Earth in the correct order she found them.


The story is colorfully illustrated, mixing the exotic nature of Amber’s planet with the familiar animals of Earth.  Young readers will recognize that a number of the animals Amber longs for wouldn’t make the best pets even here on Earth but have probably imagined themselves longing for them as Amber does.  I had barely gotten a chance to read and be excited about its arrival when it zoomed off my shelf to be shared in my second grader’s class.  Not only did they enjoy the book (and let my Bean brag about her mom owning something so unique) but now they too know where Malta is!  The dual language style of the book inspired questions and the class spent time learning about the book’s origins.  This is another one I’m happy to share with anyone interest, or if you too want to be able to brag about having something so unique, copies of any of Rita’s books can be ordered through her website.  My heartfelt thanks to Rita for reaching out and sharing her books with me!

Four books, nine languages, four very different styles – is that “outside the box” enough?  If any of those interested, you won’t want to miss what I’ve got coming on Friday.  If you’re a parent you will be singing my praises because I’m going to be sharing some books that have the potential to keep your kids occupied for hours.  (I know because they did mine!)  For more “outside the box” I’ll see you then!








No comments:

Post a Comment